Re: packages fetching tools

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, David Pye wrote:
On Tuesday 27 July 2004 05:53, Nate Duehr wrote:
<...>
There are actually dependency issues that apt-get CANNOT resolve that
dselect can.  Specifically when a package is added to the archives and
a new dependency is created, apt-get chokes on it saying that it will
hold-back the old packages, whereas dselect will show the problem and
allow you to accept the "fix" (adding another package) with a simple
<ENTER> if you agree.

Then, this is a bug or missing feature in apt-get.  And I thought apt-get
dist-upgrade resolved this, but anyways, either way, if this doesn't work
with apt, it means apt should be fixed, not that dselect should be forced on
people who don't like it.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect any of the package handling tools to be able to deal with all of the possible dependency problems... especially when pulling from unofficial archives (where this thread started).

If apt hadn't existed, I might even have been forced to give up using
Debian because of the thought of having to use dselect for package
management.

Methinks you doth protest too much.  ;-)

I feel the same as the first poster, frankly. I don't like any curses or CUI
based package managers. I want a CLI based one, and apt-get does the job very
nicely, at least for me.

I want a CLI for managing individual or small groups of packages; when potentially large or questionable upgrades come along (e.g., daily upgrades of unstable) I want the ability to snoop around the DB before doing anything.

What I would really like is a version of dselect which can handle multiple "available" archives, and allows manual editing of /var/lib/dpkg/status... all the better if it is scriptable so using it from a CLI (or wrapping some KDE around it :) is feasible.

- Bruce