Re: Pogo vs. Kicker?

Am Dienstag, 20. April 2004 21:19 schrieb Bob Tilley (AT&T):
> Does a project to optimize KDE exist or must I go the Gentoo route and
> build my own packages?

lol, the old discussion.

KDE gets faster and faster with every release since 1.0.

KDE isn't just a panel and some utils, it's a desktop environment with
consistent look and behaviour and it's fun to use and to code kde apps. This
comes at a price. If you prefer speed over functionality, you should switch
to something smaller like XFCE, which you mentioned.

Nonetheless, compiling KDE with optimization for your processor should bring
some speed. Try compiling KDE 3.2.2 with konstruct, which is a script to
download and compile a complete KDE. You can even run this KDE next to the
original debs.
Or download the deb sources and make optimized packages. Gentoo is a nice
idea, but if you ever do an emerge world and see xfree86, kde and openoffice
in the update list, you might consider booting from a knoppix cd and
reinstalling debian - that could be finished much faster on your 600MHZ
debian box ;)
I used to compile my own KDE packages with my P200. "Take a good book and
start reading" I was warned. Actually, one book wasn't enough, maybe I should
have used the time to read "The World as Will and Idea", that would have
taken enough time, I think.

Greetings,

Thomas Ritter