Pogo vs. Kicker?

This is intended as an honest question and not a troll.

The Kicker allows, in essence, the creation of an icon bar.  These icons can be connected with different parts of the system; applications, applets, menus, etc.  Kicker has dependencies on the normal KDE libraries.

Pogo, http://www.ibiblio.org/propaganda/pogo/, also provides this functionality.  Pogo's dependencies, from casual inspection, consist solely of imlib1.

A quote from the Pogo page is worth notice: "In the meantime, if anyone can provide me with a good argument as to why keeping libraries strewn like buckshot all over a system is a good idea, I would seriously like to hear it. I'm still learning."  KDE is replete with scattered libraries, and on my 600MHz Debian box can be sluggish compared to DEs such as XFCE, which are optimized with few libraries.

Does a project to optimize KDE exist or must I go the Gentoo route and build my own packages?

Bob Tilley
Debian, KDE user on unstable