Re: Konqueror does not work with international domain names

Kevin Krammer writes:

> On Sunday 11 April 2004 19:38, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Frans Pop writes:

>> > How about filing a bug against upstream as well to ask them to
>> > use the library the proper way?
>>
>> Well, the problem with that is that KDE upstream has the tendency
>> to say "It works for us, and we don't care about the Debian
>> policy.", meaning we have to do the work ourselves anyway..

> And sometimes it is the fault of the library folks making API
> changes in non-major releases, virtually forcing others to support
> more than one version at a time (e.g. OpenSSL)

True.

> Actually dlopen'ing lib for advanced features is helping packager,
> otherwise they would have to build two versions, one with having the
> option enabled, one without.

Yes, but in this case, it's not about an advanced feature.

Anyway, both the above represent a reason to use dlopen'ing of normal
libs, but in either case, it's a very ugly workaround, and should be
avoided as much as possible.  I wouldn't personally have used it in
either case.

cheers
domi