Re: Konqueror does not work with international domain names

On Monday 12 April 2004 11:50, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Kevin Krammer writes:
> > Actually dlopen'ing lib for advanced features is helping packager,
> > otherwise they would have to build two versions, one with having the
> > option enabled, one without.
>
> Yes, but in this case, it's not about an advanced feature.

Right, neither was the SSL case.
I don't know the reasons, maybe it is not available on all platforms which KDE
supports.

Did anyone create an upstream bugreport for this?

> Anyway, both the above represent a reason to use dlopen'ing of normal
> libs, but in either case, it's a very ugly workaround, and should be
> avoided as much as possible.  I wouldn't personally have used it in
> either case.

I think there was no viable option in the case of OpenSSL, as not having
support for HTTPS is a dead end.

Debian has a clear advantage with such problems, the highly appreciated effort
to create a fine package granularity enables packagers to build alternative
packages (one for feature disabled and one for enabled), but unfortunately a
lot of other distributors still use huge packages, making it necessary to
detect the availablity of certain features at runtime :(

Cheers,
Kevin