Re: Using deb and CVS version alternately?

Michael Schuerig wrote:
> Currently, I've got a similar settup. The CVS KDE is not installed
> privately by another user, instead it is stuck away in a chrooted jail.
> I think I'll keep it like that. But I haven't yet found out how to
> connect an app running in the jail (or rather declining to run when
> there's no X session) to my normal X session. Presumably it's the same
> as with remote X sessions, which I haven't figured out as well.

For remote just run "ssh -X user@remotehost" and type e.g. mozilla. It
starts mozilla on the remotehost and forwards the "i/o" to localhost. Of
course the ssh server and client have to allow X11forwarding.

For a local user (my suggestion) it should work similar "ssh -X
testkde@localhost". For a chroot jail (your setup) I don't think it will
work, maybe if you start an ssh server inside it on a non-privileged port
and connect with "ssh -p 12345 -X root@localhost". But I have hardly
experience with chroot environments.

        Christoph