Re: Using deb and CVS version alternately?

On Friday 05 March 2004 22:51, Christoph Wegscheider wrote:
> Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > I've got a break-neck question...
> > Is it possible to keep one KDE 3.2 installed from dedisasternother
> > build from CVS (in /usr/local/kde) in parallel and use them
> > alternately? If anyone has tried such a thing, I'd be interested to
> > hear who you did it.

> Why not making a new user testkde and installing the KDEcvs to
> /home/testcvs and putting something like "cp -r
> /home/normaluser/.kde/ ~/.kde" in the .bashrc. For starting single
> applications you just need to (in an normalusers X session) open a
> term and login as user testkde and start it. The config changes made
> with testcvs would be lost of course, but for testing it would be
> sufficient.

Currently, I've got a similar settup. The CVS KDE is not installed
privately by another user, instead it is stuck away in a chrooted jail.
I think I'll keep it like that. But I haven't yet found out how to
connect an app running in the jail (or rather declining to run when
there's no X session) to my normal X session. Presumably it's the same
as with remote X sessions, which I haven't figured out as well.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  Failures to use one's frontal lobes
mailto:michael@schuerig.de        can result in the loss of them.