Re: Wiki seems to be fibbing; KDE not installable in testing

Ross Boylan writes:

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 08:12:52PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Dominique Devriese writes:

>> > Can you please attach the output of
>>
>> > apt-get -s -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1 install kde-core
>>
>> > and please keep the cc to 193376-quiet@bugs.debian.org
>>
>> Ok, I've received the output from Ross, on investigation, this is
>> yet another consequence of the broken kdebase version which is
>> still in testing, and meta-kde not getting into testing.  The
>> Debian KDE maintainers are working on this, it should get fixed
>> before sarge comes out.

> Thanks.  I think I'll probably go ahead and install from unstable.
> Any reason not to?

Well, erm, unstable is not meant for non-developer use.  Use it at
your own risk.  That said, I personally find it often more stable than
testing.

> Would it be appropriate to update the wiki to note install from
> testing doesn't work at the moment?

Please go ahead.

> Just to be sure I'm following, is this the problem: kde-core depends
> on ksysguard which depends on ksysguardd.  The latter depends on
> different versions of libsensors in testing and unstable, and the
> version in testing doesn't exist.  So it blocks install?

As far as I see, there are two problems:
1. meta-kde in testing ( which means all the dummy packages like
   "kde", "kde-core" etc. ) is still at 2.2.*, thus, it sometimes
   depends on wrong package names.  I can't check this atm, but it's
   pretty likely.  meta-kde is not entering testing because it is
   waiting for the rest of the kde packages, which are waiting on
   various things like slow buildd's, compile failure's on the more
   rare architectures, a gcc bug that prevented compilation, that was
   only fixed a few days ago etc.
2. ksysguardd is still at 3.1.3 in testing, which still depends on
   libsensors1-debian or sth like that, an old version of libsensors
   that has been replaced by libsensors2.  It is fixed in newer
   kdebase versions, but those have not yet entered testing.

Mind you, this is my view of the problems, i'm not an apt guru, and
even the apt-get debug output is not great imho.

cheers
domi