Re: k3b cdrecord

Le 12/01/04 à 01:36 Hendrik Sattler (ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de) écrivait :
> > - If they're not already, ask if their group should be set to cdrom.
> > - If permissions and group of programs used by k3b (cdrecord,
> > cdrdao, ...) are not suitable, ask if they should be changed to
> > appropriate values (group cdrom, but which permissions exactly?).
>
> If they run as setuid root (cdrecord needs that anyway), why bother changing
> the device files. With hotpluggable devices, this will mostly (!) be wrong
> anyway. If I plug in an USB-CD-Writer than the whole setup doesn't gain you
> anything (except when also having an apropriate hoplug script).

That's sure. Moreover it is not the job of the k3b package to do that.

> > - If allowed, apply the changes using dpkg-statoverride.
>
> Don't do this to other program because either:
> 1. They are a debian packages and a user friendly but secure setup should be
> done by its maintainer.

I should check with other maintenairs, and it the policy. The best
would be that each package present a debconf option to set the SETUID
bit on binaries.

>   or
> 2. They were not installed as a package and the admin is responsible of doing
> it correctly.

I could not take bad admin into account. I don't see any good reason to
install cdrdao, cdrecord... without a package.

> If you can work from a console with the program (by having the user in the
> correct group) then k3b should work correctly, too. Any test that fails
> although everything work correctly should be removed or fixed.

Yes, but it could change. The stat of a system evolve against time !

> Installing xmms will not fiddle with group "audio".
> Why exactly should be done for group "cdrom"?

That's sure.

> > k3bsetup2 doesn't fit in well with a debian setup. That said, I'd feel
> > uneasy just leaving it out. Some suggestions
>
> I'd leave it out of the package. It is surely not needed in a correctly
> working distribution. Actually, k3b _should_ find everything working (except
> the user not being in the correct group).

And if it doesn't ?
To my mind if it doesn't it should warn user to use dpkg-reconfigure
somepackage and set the correct option. But that implies that EACH
package (on which k3b depends) should have a debconf frontend.

--
Jean-Michel Kelbert