Re: Why Are Some Fonts So Bad ?

* Dominique Devriese [Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:47:50 +0100]:

>                                 Also, does anyone have any idea how to
> fix the font problems in konsole ( most of the fonts look ugly, the
> "linux" and "unicode" fonts don't work, selecting a custom font brings
> up very few fonts to choose from etc. ), please share it.

(I suppose you refer to sid KDE packages, right?)

First of all, for a quick fix, take a look at #214150.

AIUI, there are at least two issues involved here:

    a) whether anti-aliasing is on in Qt (via KDE Control Centre)
    b) whether fontconfig is configured to provide bitmap fonts

By default, fontconfig does not provide bitmap fonts (I think so);
that's the reason behind custom font menu brings up "very few fonts to
choose from": only brings up outline fonts. Moreover, those outline
fonts look damn ugly if Qt is not using antialiasing, which is the
default setting.

So, if you get fontconfig to provide bitmap fonts too, those get
avaliable to Qt and there are plenty of other fonts to choose from
(including "linux" font, whose realname is console --and which is in
package xfonts-konsole--).

If antialiasing is on, outline fonts look best (and bitmap fonts
continue to show nice, too). I would suggest to turn on KDE antialiasing
by default and (perhaps) to get "linux" konsole font to a directory
which always got read by fontconfig (e.g. /usr/share/fonts, but I am
aware that this may be not possible).

Please contact me if you think I may have some more info about this.

Cheers.

--
Adeodato Simó (a.k.a. thibaut)
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | IM: my_dato [jabber.org] | PK: DA6AE621

The greatest productive force is human selfishness.
                -- Robert Heinlein