Why Are Some Fonts So Bad ?

I'm running KDE 3.1.4 with XFree86 4.1.0-16 on Woody, with anti-aliasing
switched on, and although the desktop mostly looks pretty slick, there
are still some *really* bad font renditions in some parts of some
windows.

For instance, the font used for the words "Did you know ?" in the "Tip
Of The Day" dialogs offered by both Konsole and Kate is *awful* - it
looks a mess ... utterly uneven and broken.

I've put a screen-capture of the Kate Tip-Of-The-Day dialog on my
website, at http://www.glimmer.demon.co.uk/kde/kate-lousy-font.png if
anyone feels like having a look.

Can anyone hazard a possible explanation for this ?
Does anyone else see anything better looking in this dialog on their own
machines ?

(I use a Voodoo 3 graphics card, in case that's relevant, and the 3Dfx
Voodoo 3 driver is selected in KXconfig).

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK