Re: KDE3.1: which packages?

Am Dienstag, 28. Januar 2003 21:09 schrieb Henning Moll:

> Now, there are two possibilities of getting KDE3.1 for debian:
>
> - - ktown.kde.org
> - - download.kde.org
>
> What 're the pros/cons of each of them?
>
> I want to give it a try, installing it on my debian sarge. Is this
> possible?

Hello Henning,

yesterday I did a upgrade from 3.0.5a to 3.1 on my sarge system (some
packages are from sid). It works mostly, but to do this is a mess. Perhaps
I am doing something wrong. I had to specify every program with version
number, e.g.

apt-get install kate=4:3.1* kedit=4:3.1* ......

This was a lot of work and has taken the whole evening. I do not know, why
it is not possible to use the metapackages, e.g.

apt-get install kdeutils

This gives a lot of dependency problems and results in the above mentioned
behaviour.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anybody a hint what could have gone wrong?
sources.list wrong? I don't know.

But nevertheless, it works and it looks great. Thanks to Ralf who is doing a
great job on that. I appreciate that.

Thomas