Re: environment question

On Sonntag, 19. Januar 2003 00:25, Andreas von Heydwolff wrote:

> While I appreciate your help and especially your great packaging
> efforts, Ralf, I want to pose the question to the list in general,
> wouldn't it be nice to have some easy to find information for other
> not-so-much-but-somewhat-skilled users to be able to compile KDE apps on
> their Debian system.

Not to criticize anyone, but I have already pointed out that someone should
(if he likes to, of course, all voluntary work) start to rewrite the
KDE/Debian info page that you get with kdebase on your KDE desktop as a link.
The KDE manuals have a *very* outdated section about installing KDE on debian
also which should be updated.

I would like to have a collection of pages written that the first time
Debian/KDE user can browse instead of this mini-non-contents page that you
get presented; one that is primarily in docbook format like the rest of the
KDE docs and that contains the necessary information where in Debian the
basic stuff is located:

Configuration files: /etc/kde3 (global)
Binaries/Programs: /usr/bin
Libraries:             /usr/lib
Plugins/Parts:	/usr/lib/kde3

And an explanation to install the program "menu" to have all other installed
applications automatically appear in the K menu or to use kappfinder to add
the most important ones optionally.

Then a developer section that contains the info about the dh_make template and
how to use it to quicky build a package of a program, then where the Qt
includes are and where the KDE includes are. Another necessary thing is that
with Qt's qmake one has to set QTDIR to /usr/share/qt and export
QMAKESPEC=linux-g++ to make qmake -o Makefile project.pro to produce a
makefile that can be processed and how to add that in a regular dh_make
template. Also to add thread to the CONFIG section so that the program gets
linked to -lqt-mt and application startup is faster as KDE is already using
- -lqt-mt.

This whole stuff is either undocumented or one needs to have the necessary
experience (well, uhm, I'd help add the stuff if someone would actually
*start* writing up a frame for the whole thing where we can just send in
corrections; I'd also do the comitting to CVS and add it to kdebase for
example)

Also the handling of bugs in KDE should be explained and that people can
either use kbugbuster or bugs.kde.org to file bugreports, what they should
include as information and how to set up testcases for khtml misrendering
examples where they are hit.

I think this is a very common task that even non-programmers can do quite
easily and everyone here will be thankful to contribute to that so that we
don't have to explain things over and over again but just point to the
section in the manual found on the desktop as a link.

Ralf

> Greetings,
>
> Andreas

- --