Re: mplayer vs. xine

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 05:15 pm, Daniel Andor wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:06 am, David Bishop wrote:
> I was blindly under the assumption that one would be using mplayer debs
> from Marillat, which do not have arts support compiled in. (He has a note
> (as of 04/04/2003) about it on his webpage http://marillat.free.fr )

Yes, I saw some noise about how that is only because he's the Gnome
maintainer, and hates KDE.  But now I'm passing on gossip...

> So if you compile mplayer yourself, or use another deb repository, then you
> can be good with arts.

I use his repository, but build from source.  Only takes a few minutes, and
makes it nice to use in Konqueror (don't have to stop noatun and wait for
arts to timeout before viewing a webpage with video).

For those of you who are scared to build from source, do this:

add 'deb-src http://perso.wanadoo.fr/debian/ unstable main' to your
/etc/apt/sources.list

run apt-get source mplayer while in some temp directory
go into the newly created subdir then the debian subdir.

edit the 'rules' file, look for an mplayer-custom rule, and change the
configure to match what you want (add --with-arts, or whatever it is)

when it's done crunching, go up one directory and use 'dpkg -i
mplayer-custom-blah.deb' to install your shiny new package.

If the buld dies complaining about missing packages, just copy and paste the
package names into an apt-get install line.

If you run into trouble, ask me.  Nicely would be preferred, but not required.

--
"Sorry about the whole 'bomb' thing" - Bruce Rollins
D.A.Bishop