Re: mplayer vs. xine

On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:06 am, David Bishop wrote:
> > I say _thin_ wrapper, since neither use arts.  For that, you need to wrap
> > mplayer with artsdsp, and take care of latency manually.
>
> Not quite true.  Mplayer can use arts 'natively', and KMplayer,at least,
> has a gui option to turn that option on.  Alternatively, you can change
> your mplayer config file, and it will work no matter what front-end you
> use.

Yes, sorry, that's correct.

> This all assumes that you are using an mplayer with arts support built-in.

I was blindly under the assumption that one would be using mplayer debs from
Marillat, which do not have arts support compiled in. (He has a note (as of
04/04/2003) about it on his webpage http://marillat.free.fr )

So if you compile mplayer yourself, or use another deb repository, then you
can be good with arts.