Re: (full-duplex) Re: KDE media players

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 07:27 am, Lucas Moulin wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:45:14 +0100 (WET DST)
> Joao Pedro Clemente <jpcl@rnl.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>
> > Are you sure about this? I was pretty confident that "full duplex"
> > meant being able to send & receive simultaneously... Like speaking
> > mic and listening to onother sound...
>
> Yes I am. Full duplex allows many things through 2 independent
channels
> :

I'd like to ask the original question a little differently -- is "full
duplex" an accepted phrase in the industry for this capability?

It seems a definite migration from the more traditional meaning of full
duplex, and I think we (everybody -- consumers, producers, alike) would
benefit from using some different terminology, which would include the
term "mixing".

If full duplex is already an accepted industry term for this capability,
that's unfortunate (IMHO).

BTW: Re: "Full duplex allows many things through 2 independent channels"
-- those many things ususally mean send and receive simultaneously.
The capability being described here is to send (to the speakers)
multiple things simultaneously on one of the channels, which is more of
a mixing function.  (I have no idea whether "ordinary" sound cards can
also accept sound input from the mike and send that to the computer
simultaneously with transmitting sounds from the computer to the
speakers, nor whether, if not, a "new" "full duplex" sound card would
have that capability.

PS: I know in the above I am mixing two concepts of "channel" -- one
being where the two channels are in opposite directions (send vs.
receive), and one where a sound device, like a mixer, may have a large
number of channels.

Don't know if I've helped at all -- I guess I'm just trying to avoid
more confusion of terminology.  Maybe someone who knows more about
those cards and that capability can provide more information.  In the
end, I guess all the sound comes out of one set of speakers, so by
then, the signals are mixed.  (Even if you have stereo or some five
channel surround sound.)

regards,
Randy Kramer