Re: Adding A Device in KPPP's Modem Device Combo Box

Hi David,

On Friday 11 April 2003 22:07, you wrote:
> Well, there's a brutal way, which you can use until I find the proper
> way to do it!
>
> Edit the kppprc config file (which should be in ~/.kde/share/config)
> and change the line saying:
>
> device=/dev/modem

> device=/dev/whateveryoulike
>
> Note that when you go back into kppp, you will see the device is
> still /dev/modem as the other device isn't in the scrolllist. BUT it
> will now dial the device in the config file.
It still doesn't work. I didn't find that line in kppprc so I added it
by hand. It doesn't work either though.

> As far as I can see, the device list looks almost as if it might be
> hardcoded, which surprises me, as it's a pretty stupid thing to do!
> (No offence to the kppp authors)
I think you're right about that. I looked it up at the source codes, and
found the followings in the devices.h

#ifndef _DEVICES_H_
#define _DEVICES_H_

#include "kpppconfig.h"

static const char *devices[] = {
#ifdef __FreeBSD__
  "/dev/cuaa0",
  "/dev/cuaa1",
  "/dev/cuaa2",
  "/dev/cuaa3",
  "/dev/cuaa4",
#elif defined(__NetBSD__)
  "/dev/tty00",                /* "normal" modem lines */
  "/dev/tty01",
  "/dev/tty02",
  "/dev/tty03",
  "/dev/dty00",                /* Dial out devices */
  "/dev/dty01",
  "/dev/dty02",
  "/dev/dty03",
  "/dev/ttyU0",                /* USB stuff modems */
  "/dev/ttyU1",
  "/dev/ttyU2",
  "/dev/ttyU3",
  "/dev/dtyU0",                /* USB stuff, too (dial out device) */
  "/dev/dtyU1",
  "/dev/dtyU2",
  "/dev/dtyU3",
#elif defined (__linux__)
  "/dev/modem",
  "/dev/ttyS0",
  "/dev/ttyS1",
  "/dev/ttyS2",
  "/dev/ttyS3",
#ifdef ISDNSUPPORT
  "/dev/ttyI0",
  "/dev/ttyI1",
  "/dev/ttyI2",
  "/dev/ttyI3",
#endif
  "/dev/usb/ttyACM0",          /* USB stuff modems */
  "/dev/usb/ttyACM1",
  "/dev/usb/ttyACM2",
  "/dev/usb/ttyACM3",
#elif defined(__svr4__)
  "/dev/cua/a",
  "/dev/cua/b",
  "/dev/ttya",
  "/dev/ttyb",
#endif
  0};

// default device number from the list above
const int DEV_DEFAULT = 0;

#endif

I was thinking to add a line in linux's modem with something like
"/dev/winmodem" but I have to learn to codes first.

cheers,
Yuhanes