Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:03:38PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 11:56, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Maybe in, say, DDR.
>
> 256 megs ddr = 80 euro. Reason my box has 256 meg :) I'll upgrade once I have
> a game that needs more for textures.

Well, I'm talking Australian dollars. There was a reason why I still had
the PII when I *maintained* KDE.

> > It's pretty simple - there's even a HOWTO around.
>
> Url?

Google is your friend. :)

> > For me, it meant Konsole with a few tabs open, a couple of Konq
> > sessions, a KWord session, and Mutt having a good go at a 40,000-mail
> > Maildir.
>
> I use kmail for 5000 mail-maildirs ;)

KMail kinda sucked back then, and I now have all my mail at work, so
read it with Mutt in a remote session.

> > I don't see why you'd "need" OpenOffice or Mozilla.
>
> OOo is also ridiculous. It should share nore with the other available open
> source software - such as widgets. I'd be delighted to save my files with
> those gorgeous QT dialogs instead of the pathetic built-in windows ui clone
> they use now. I wonder why Sun hasn't used Motif for the Staroffice UI
> actually.

OOo is ridiculous in so many ways, including a 15min startup time on
lower-end machines. It's the worst benchmark of anything you could
possibly pick.

> > BTW, KGhostView posed no difficulties with huge PDFs, either. Not even
> > image-laden ones, on my laptop.
>
> KGhostview is still buggy. The first pdf my dad tried to open with it showed
> up sideways, off course the rest of the page in place. Grmbl...

Did you report a bug? :)

> > And, as someone pointed out, most of the RAM being "used" is actually
> > just cache, so it's non-critical if it gets swapped out.
>
> ... and virtual memory under Linux is "pretty good". It's monitoring it that
> sucks ;)

*nod*.

> > I agree that memory is cheap, right. My box has 512mb of 333MHz DDR,
> > soon to be 1gb. Problem is that people often don't have even $au60 to
> > spare, or maybe are stuck with old boxes with older, more expensive RAM,
> > or whatever. I was in that situation for quite a while.
> >
> > Or maybe they're saving to get a whole new machine, this time with DDR.
> >
> > 128mb to run any OS is stupid, 256 ridiculous. If your assertions were
> > true, I'd be demanding KDE go straight back to the drawing board.
>
> Actually I'd appreciate if someone took parts of kdebase and libs under the
> magnifier glass again :) .
>
> But anywa, they're going in the right direction. Performance has had a lot of
> attention between 2.2.2 and 3.0, and kde becomes more modular each release.

And even between 3.0 and 3.1, it's had attention.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org