Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 07:19, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> Which is why I say that for practical purposes, it appears that 256MB is a
> reasonable amount of RAM, in my opinion. Unless you run just only kmail +
> one instance of konqueror and noth more. Then 128MB might be allright.
> Which does not mean that it does not work with less. But it can cause a lot
> of paging and swapping and thus gives a slow system, no matter how many MHz
> there is in the processor.

Nowadays my pentium 133 has 80 megs ram, but I ran it with 48. It swaps, but
not until the point that it is not useful anymore. I find the memory
reqirements of kde also excessive, but kde still isn't Windows Xp :)

> KDE 2.2 is a different animal altogether. On small machines that works much
> better. I even run single KDE 3.1 applications on my 100MHz pentium
> firewall machine.  (kmyfirewall, and sometimes konsole. Nothing else of KDE
> is installed on it. Something that can't be done with the official SID KDE)

Why not?

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it