Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:23:46PM +0200, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> tisdagen den 8 april 2003 05.39 skrev Terry Milnes:
> > I have 128MB of RAM and it seems to always be completely used up when I am
> > logged in as user. I know that this could be causing my slowdown, but what
> > else can be causing it? Secondly, how do I speed things up without
> > installing more RAM?
>
> KDE 3.1.x is a complete memory hog. An interesting exersize is to run a RAM
> display program like gmemusage. Right now, I have:
>
> linux 28MB
> xfree86 115MB
> kdeinit 135MB
> the rest of my memory are divided in smaller chunks.

I thought you'd know that saying how much memory kdeinit takes is
*utterly* *useless*. Obviously not.

> xfree86 115MB!!!!!
> What is the X server doing with all that RAM?
> Not, it is not a memory leak. I quitted xsane, and gqview, and it went down to
> *only* 53MB.
> There is no chance in that is going to run on a 128MB system.

Well, to be fair, a lot of this is cache. gqview and xsane aren't the
most memory-friendly, et al.

> So, the recommendation: Get more RAM!
>
> The alternative is to run KDE like windows. Start only one application at the
> time, and expect it to run out of memory.

I never had any problems with KDE 2.2 on a P166 with 64 (later 96) mb of
RAM, nor the PII 350 with 128mb of RAM.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org