Re: KDE debs building

On Sunday 15 September 2002 4:35 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as some of you got to know until now, I switched from SuSE to Debian this
> week - - and directly hit the fact that building debs from CVS would work
> best for me to have it working the right way (tm). Now, I got into working
> with Chris lately and we try to fix the issues one by one soon now so that
> everyone can build debs himself but more important, provide debs for KDE
> constantly that work, where also most importantly betas, RC's and finals
> are provided by the day that the packages are build and work optimal on
> Debian.

Fantastic

> The other thing is that third party apps need to be compiled if you like to
> use them. Until now several people do that for the apps they like to run or
> that they are developing using debian as their development platform. The
> problem for the users is that the deb lines for sources.list are spread all
> over and there is no central way of getting the newest apps through debs
> for people that are not necessarily developers like we are. The other thing
> is that as developers, just doing a make install would work but that
> usually messes up our systems, especially as KDE has /usr as its prefix on
> debian. So it would be the best if we could somehow collect our resources
> and schedule building debs and providing them in a central place.

Still not sure why KDE and these apps can't seem to make it into the formal
debian unstable (and then the more stable) archive and mirrors, but
apparently not - so ...

> I talked with Dirk Müller already and some other guys that I use to work
> with at KDE and we should provide that possibility through KDE on
> ftp.kde.org. Wether that will work out just depends on how many people
> would volunteer to participate.

A good alternative - especially if you could set it up so that it had
different sections for stable, unstable and development (or something) so
that we could chose what.

I am not sure how I could participate - I do have an always on, lightly used
server supporting my family at home at the end of a cable modem, but my
acceptable use conditions require that it is not used as a public server
other than for a limited (<10) password controlled connections.  I could
perhaps do some regular builds (Its only a p2 400 with 128MB Ram, but it has
loads of disk space).

As for my time, I am travelling abroad (from the UK) between 3 and 4 days a
week, so that pretty much limits what I could do.  I am trying to do some
light coding or bug fixing offline in the evenings when I am away - but last
weeks attempt was feeble, I managed only an hour (working late and then
eating seems to grab most of the time).  I could devote a bit more when I am
at home.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk