Re: kde and debian packages

On Saturday 27 April 2002 17:06, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 02:04, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Maybe you're unaware that Chris's final exams are in 2 weeks. Whatever
> > the case, I suggest you check kdebase out of CVS and help him by
> > building the debs yourself. I look forward to either a retraction of
> > this email from you, or your kdebase debs.
>
> Well these two weeks are almost over now, so I suppose we might have hope of
> seeing the KDE debs soon.  The need for a more effective way of getting the
> debs out hasn't gone away though, and people continue to ask how/when/where
> they can get them.  There are no problems compiling KDE 3.0.  Many KDE
> developers using debian are doing it regularly, myself included.  The process
> of creating debs is more involved than just compiling, but given the number
> of us who are willing to help maintain the necessary scripts and data, the
> packaging process can probably be made nearly effortless for the maintainer.
>
> So again my original question: what can we do to improve the KDE packaging
> process?

Hi Ellis,

things that come to mind ...

for KDE developers like you ;):

	o check patches, manpages, etc, in debian/  and try to get them incorporated
	  into the kde sources so the debian maintainer does not have to maintain
	  them.

for everyone knowing the deb build process and tools:

	o find/document a way to build debs (almost) as fast as the 'normal'
	  brute force: for all kde my favorite cvs modules do
	  cvs up; configure --prefix=/put/it/here; make; make install
	  So 'everyone' can do it's own regular (cron job) cvs deb builds and
	  help reporting/fixing bugs.

for every one interested to help making quality KDE debs

	o check BTS and help fixing/managing the bugs

Just my two cents,
Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com