Re: kdm dies

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:20:09 +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen
<ossi@kde.org> wrote:

>> apt-get --reinstall xfree86-common kde kdm
>>
>> fails to correct the problem.  Perhaps xfree86-common
>> doesn't contain the lib or module that kdm is mis-linked
>> with?
>>
>xlibs is supposed to contain the right file - but on my system it does
>not, too.
>i installed the up-to-date debian kdm package and i'm not able to
>reproduce the problem. maybe, it's really related to running the xfree3
>x-server ... but i don't know how this could be related ...

OK, finally getting somewhere.  I did:

apt-get remove kde kdm
dpkg --force-depends -r xfree86-common xserver-xfree86 xlibs
apt-get autoclean
apt-get install xfree86-common xserver-xfree86 xlibs
apt-get install kde kdm
dpkg-reconfigure kdm

With kdm debugging enabled, I'm now getting an error in
syslog to the effect that "can't start
/urs/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA"  I've uninstalled XF86_SVGA and
reconfigured xfree.  Manually starting xfree with "startx"
works fine, using xserver-xfree86.  I assume that kdm still
trying to use the old server is the result of an error in a
configuration file somewhere.  Which configuration file
would cause kdm to use a different server than startx?