Re: kdm dies

> Which configuration file would cause kdm to use a different server
> than startx?

startx is not a server. it's a wrapper to xinit, which starts the server
specified in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc. but that has _nothing_ to do with
kdm.
kdm's x-server config file is /etc/kde2/kdm/Xservers. possibly it's
starting the X wrapper; in this case you would have to change the
/etc/X11/X symlink (or just run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common").

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.