Re: Severe periodical hang up on KDE 2.2

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Jarno Elonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My system with KDE 2.2 on Debian unstable is demonstrating some quite
> irritating behaviour:
>
> It works very well except that periodically, about after two hours of use or
> so, it suddenly starts crunching the disk as if swapping heavily.
>
> In about a minute or two every UI process is suffocated and for example the
> KDE clock, mouse pointer, text mode console and SSH daemon (even on nice
> level -19!) stop responding completely.
>
> This goes on about 5-10 minutes after which everything either comes back to
> normal or (sometimes) a few processes (like desktop, konqueror or kwin) have
> died of insufficient memory. I guess kernel runs out of swap space and then
> gives up.
>
> TOP doesn't show any process hogging memory once the hard disk starts to
> roll. Possibly a kernel incompatibility with some part of KDE?
>

> Any ideas on how to start debugging this?

I have the same problem.  (Except my card is a viper 770)  There is some
kind of bad interaction between the nvidia drivers, the X server and
Qt/KDE.  If you run top(1) you'll see the XFree86 is progressively using
more and more memory.  Eventually all available memory is consumed and the
system freezes.

The good news is KDE 3.0 (or perhaps Qt3) does seem to fix the problem.
Of course it is not debianized yet which is why for the moment I'm back to
2.2.2.  My temporary strategy is to run the cpuload applet and when
memeory seems to be getting scarce, logout and kill the X server from KDM.
That frees up the leaked memory.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>