Severe periodical hang up on KDE 2.2

Hi,

My system with KDE 2.2 on Debian unstable is demonstrating some quite
irritating behaviour:

It works very well except that periodically, about after two hours of use or
so, it suddenly starts crunching the disk as if swapping heavily.

In about a minute or two every UI process is suffocated and for example the
KDE clock, mouse pointer, text mode console and SSH daemon (even on nice
level -19!) stop responding completely.

This goes on about 5-10 minutes after which everything either comes back to
normal or (sometimes) a few processes (like desktop, konqueror or kwin) have
died of insufficient memory. I guess kernel runs out of swap space and then
gives up.

TOP doesn't show any process hogging memory once the hard disk starts to
roll. Possibly a kernel incompatibility with some part of KDE?

Any ideas on how to start debugging this?

Some version info:

 + Celeron 300 Mhz
 + 128 MB of memory
 + Linux 2.4.13 i686