artsd and APM problem

Hi,

Using KDE 2.2.2 (kdelibs3 2.2.2-5, kdebase 2.2.2-7, libarts-alsa 2.2.2-5
and corresponding; I am running kde's laptopdaemon) I discovered that
artsd suddenly has a problem when the machine should suspend. I am
pretty sure that this worked a while ago (although I don't recall what
version I was using then).

When I am logged in as root in KDE, everything works fine.

When I am logged in as a user, artsd does not seem to suspend itself
before APM calls its scripts in /etc/apm/event.d/ - which causes ALSA to
shut down before artsd suspended itself. This leads into a complete
freeze when the machine resumes - no mouse, no keyboard, no network, not
even the harddisk spins up.

Everything works fine if I suspend artsd manually (either by "artsshell
suspend" or by using "Multimedia"->"arts control") or wait until the
delay for self-suspension (Control -> Sound -> Sound server) has run
out.)

Interesting though (and maybe a clue): I can't suspend artsd as root if
a user is logged in with KDE and uses arts (I can do this as that user,
as said). Isn't it so that APM events and scripts are
executed/controlled as root? I included "artsshell suspend" in the
APM-alsa script but that had no effect due to this ("unable to connect
to sound server").

Anybody out there who knows what KDE process controls APM events and
should suspend artsd when a (APM-)suspend event(query) is detected? Is
any of KDE's programs to be set suid?

1. Can anyone confirm the problem?
2. Is this problem known?
3. Fix? Workaround? (I already tried re-installing KDE packages to no
avail)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria                  Check it out: