Child Panels Consume Mucho Cycles

I am attaching a screenshot of KDE System Guard's process monitor.

GKrellm had been reporting that about 60% of my CPU was being utilized, even
when top would report no programs running.  I thought.

I had a child panel with some menus and News Ticker running.  I finally had
the idea of removing my child panel -- where the drop-off occurs in the graph
is when I removed the panel and the excess CPUsage dropped markedly.

Perhaps I had the wrong configuration.  Should News Ticker alone consume so
much CPU or was it the child panel or some conjunction of the two?
--
Comments and information are appreciated.
Flames, rants, and other miscellany are routed to /dev/null.

Robert Tilley, tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com