ARTS, ALSA, and DevFS

Boy oh boy oh boy - three cutting edge technologies that just aren't quite
agreeing with each other. Here is my problem: I am using devfs, so when I
load my ALSA sound modules the usual /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer etc. aren't
created, only the things like /dev/snd/hwD0C0 and other ALSA-specific
devices. Seems to me that if I am using the ALSA version of ARTS it shouldn't
matter if the OSS-compatibility devices like /dev/dsp are there or not
(perhaps my reasoning is wrong???) So, what device do I point ARTS to so it
uses ALSA natively? Or is it absolutely necessary to have a /dev/dsp ??? I
would prefer not to have to modify the devfsd to create a /dev/dsp when ALSA
loads - rather I would like to run ARTS in pure ALSA-native mode.

Thank you for any advice!

- josh