Re: Kde metapackage

Bob Underwood <mgkrebs1@home.com> wrote:

> after my previous, erroneous, message to the list, i did install the kde
> metapackage, with the same results you did.  after the first failure, i did
> an apt-get -f install, allowed it to "remove" the as yet-uninstalled
> packages, configure and install the ones it could.  then, i did another
> apt-get -t unstable install kde, which resolved most of the problems.  one
> further apt-get -t unstable install kde cleared up all installation problems.
>
> my only "gripe" to the moment is that my previous desktop settings, as
> regards themes, icon size,  were erased by the new control center.  that's
> easy to work around though
>
> thanks ivan for your work.
>
> bob

My experiences over the past couple of weeks using the kde metapackage
parallels Bob's.  I have done a total of 3 install using this
method...one on a Dec Alpha, and 2 on Pentium machines.  The Dec Alpha
KDE install was the first version of KDE on that machine, and went from
start to finish smoothly without any errors.  The other two machines had
KDE 2.1.2 installed and "bombed out", requiring the "apt-get -f install"
to clear out the log-jam.  I would then resume with "apt-get -t unstable
install kde" until it completed or bombed out again.  Repeating this
cycle resulted in a completely satisfactory install on both machines.

During the time of the two Pentium installs, my access to some of the
servers...mainly the non-US servers, was spotty.  I am fairly sure the
reason for the "bomb-outs" was the inability to retrieve a file from
these servers.  The repeat(s) cleared these up.

The "apt-get -f install" command seems to only clear up packages from
the install queue.  It doesn't remove them from your machine, causing
you to have to re-download them.  In other words, it just installs what
it can, then resumes the d/l and install process from where it stopped.

BTW, these observations assume you are running Debian "testing" and are
installing KDE 2.2.1 from "unstable" using the apt-get preferences
method.

I would make two recommendations:

1.  Install KDE 2.2.1 "fresh" if you can.  This is easy if you are
installing Debian fresh on a system.  Otherwise, you might want to
remove the existing KDE install, before you put the new one on it.  This
is NOT absolutely necessary!  Using the commands described by Bob and
cycling through them will clear up most problems, IMHO.

2.  It is better to get the crypto packages separately from the KDE
metapackage.  I would do a "apt-get -t unstable kde" first and let it
complete, THEN do a "apt-get -t unstable kdebase-crypto" as a separate
run.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-