Re: Kde metapackage

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 02:09 am, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> Bob Underwood <mgkrebs1@home.com> wrote:
> > after my previous, erroneous, message to the list, i did install the kde
> > metapackage, with the same results you did.  after the first failure, i
> > did an apt-get -f install, allowed it to "remove" the as yet-uninstalled
> > packages, configure and install the ones it could.  then, i did another
> > apt-get -t unstable install kde, which resolved most of the problems.
> > one further apt-get -t unstable install kde cleared up all installation
> > problems.
> >
> > my only "gripe" to the moment is that my previous desktop settings, as
> > regards themes, icon size,  were erased by the new control center.
> > that's easy to work around though
> >
> > thanks ivan for your work.
> >
> > bob
>
> My experiences over the past couple of weeks using the kde metapackage
> parallels Bob's.  I have done a total of 3 install using this
> method...one on a Dec Alpha, and 2 on Pentium machines.  The Dec Alpha
> KDE install was the first version of KDE on that machine, and went from
> start to finish smoothly without any errors.  The other two machines had
> KDE 2.1.2 installed and "bombed out", requiring the "apt-get -f install"
> to clear out the log-jam.  I would then resume with "apt-get -t unstable
> install kde" until it completed or bombed out again.  Repeating this
> cycle resulted in a completely satisfactory install on both machines.
>
> During the time of the two Pentium installs, my access to some of the
> servers...mainly the non-US servers, was spotty.  I am fairly sure the
> reason for the "bomb-outs" was the inability to retrieve a file from
> these servers.  The repeat(s) cleared these up.
>
> The "apt-get -f install" command seems to only clear up packages from
> the install queue.  It doesn't remove them from your machine, causing
> you to have to re-download them.  In other words, it just installs what
> it can, then resumes the d/l and install process from where it stopped.
>
> BTW, these observations assume you are running Debian "testing" and are
> installing
> KDE 2.2.1 from "unstable" using the apt-get preferences
> method.
>
> I would make two recommendations:
>
> 1.  Install KDE 2.2.1 "fresh" if you can.  This is easy if you are
> installing Debian fresh on a system.  Otherwise, you might want to
> remove the existing KDE install, before you put the new one on it.  This
> is NOT absolutely necessary!  Using the commands described by Bob and
> cycling through them will clear up most problems, IMHO.
>
> 2.  It is better to get the crypto packages separately from the KDE
> metapackage.  I would do a "apt-get -t unstable kde" first and let it
> complete, THEN do a "apt-get -t unstable kdebase-crypto" as a separate
> run.
>
> Cheers,
> -Don Spoon-

While what you describe is usually the case for apt-get -f install, in this
particular instance, apt-get -f install removed 15 packages from the
installation queue.  I didn't note the packages, opting instead to try the
apt-get -f unstable install kde to have it proceed automagically.  The first
pass at this installed 14 of the fifteen; the last pass installed the last
holdout.

bob