Re: trying to upgrade KDE - now nothing works!

On Saturday 03 November 2001 18:00, Rachel Andrew wrote:
> Hi

XAIPE!
<snip>

> I had KDE2.1 running nicely on Debian (Potato) for about 4 months, I'm a
> web developer so I use Konqueror to test stuff and I also like KNode for
> news etc. I'm not a diehard Linux user but I know my way around.

The point is that there are no KDE 2.2-debs for Potato! There are some for
sid (unstable) which can be used with woody (testing) with a little trick,
but I don't know if that works with Potato as well, you need a late version
of apt-get, but I think that the base-libs of potato are not able to cope
with these KDE-binaries that are compiled for newer versions.

If your box is NOT a server, needing 99% uptime and the latest
security-patches available cause of a high possibility to be attacked, you
can upgrade your whole system to woody and then get the KDE 2.2-bins from
sid. It works fine for me and for a lot of other people in this list as well!
Search this list for further details (or ask me again and i'll repost the
proper inforamtion).

<snip>

> I also have the KDE2.21 files on a cd-rom, but after extracting the kdebase
> or kdelibs and trying to do a ./configure it fails on
> checking for libz... configure: error: not found. Check your installation
> and look into config.log
>
> config.log confirms that it can't find zlib.h
I haven't seen it, but configure often tries to find out about a library by
compiling a little dummy-app that makes use of it and then looks if the App
works or not! Btw: compiling KDE from scratch is a _really_ hard task, but on
the other hand you see what Ivan's doin' for all of us...

> Sooo... perhaps the problem could be solved if I could find a server with
> the correct files on and I could upgrade, or manage to install from this
> CD. It has been suggested that i upgrade from potato to Woody, is this a
> good idea? How would I go about it?

As I already said, that depends on how you use your box! I do not have any
problems with woody at all, it works really fine! Then you just have to get
the KDE-debs from sid, but believe me, that's not hard at all!!!

<snip>

> Thankyou =)
>
> Rachel
Franz
- --
Wenn auch die Sicherheit vor den Menschen bis zu einem gewissen Grade
eintritt durch eine bestimmte Macht, Störungen zu beseitigen, und
durch Reichtum, so entspringt doch die reinste Sicherheit aus der Ruhe
und dem Rückzug aus der Masse. (Epikur)