Trouble with kdm from KDE 2.1.2 running potato ?

I have some problems using kdm from the potato packages
for KDE 2.1.2.

KDM starts fine, but after I select the user, type in the password and choose
one of the windows managers, the kdm screen returns. It seems that the
startup script of kdm somehow gets an error.
If I start kde2 from the commandline, say with startx, everything works great!

Now I am looking for reasons and errors fior this behaviour !! But I just can
not find any error messages or files which to look at, to find the problem !

Where can I look for messages from kdm ??? What else can I check ???
How can I add more window managers to the kdm window managers chooser list ??

Thanks for any help !

Peter Biechele

Dr. Peter Biechele, E-Mail: Peter.Biechele@gmx.de
Freiburg, Germany