Re: objprelink and KDE/QT

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 02:34:32PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > > (I have a heap of older machines to maintain (P-233 mostly) and they
> > > are just barely useable with KDE2. This should make a lot of difference
> > > if it works.
> >
> > hehe, you probably just need more RAM, and patience. :)
>
> well, 64MB is it. Actually, my laptop with 64MB wasn't useable very well.
> (it was running ONLY KDE, before login a 'ps axuw' was 10-12 processes,
> nothing big). But it started swapping at once and compiling something while
> in KDE wasn't realistic. (trashing)

Hmmm, I guess it depends on what you are compiling, and what else you
are trying to do at the same time.  Recently, I've frequently had
multiple docs open and being edited/previewed in LyX, PyQt compiling,
and apt-get getting, without any problems... until apt starts up dpkg,
then it is time to switch to that tty and go make a pot of coffee (or
have dinner if it was a 40M upgrade ;).  I suppose the piles of disk
access that goes on when the linker kicks in could turn into thrashing
if it happens to hit when dpkg is doing its thing...  but compiling is
so slow in general that it hasn't been a problem.  :-)

> it's MUCH better with 192MB now. ;)

I can imagine.

> > I'm running on a 486DX2-25 (64M RAM); once you get past the startup time,
> > and figure out you can't jump around between more apps than will fit in..
> > (e.g., rendering HTML is almost as fast as Netscape, but converting XML
> > to HTML then rendering is painful because it happens at the wrong time
> > ;-).
>
> I'll see how it goes after the objprelink is activated. I suppose even that
> could be optimized a little further.

Everything can always be optimized further.  :)

This 486 had w95 installed when I got it, could only see 15M (I don't
think the designers expected it to have more because the builtin video
can't do better than 8-bit color when there is >15M), and was really
slow (even by my standards ;)... it is actually kind of amazing that I
can even run KDE2, much less find it usable.

- Bruce