KDE Freezes

I've got a pretty standard woody box, and I recently upgraded to
the KDE2.2beta1 packages from unstable.  I can log on through KDM
fine, but once I'm in KDE and try to run a KDE program, my machine
locks hard.  Real hard.  I can sync, unmount and reboot using the
SysRq key, but ctrl-alt-bkspc out of X doesn't work, and neither does
ctrl-alt-Fn to get a console.

I'm running kernel 2.4.6, XFree86 4.0.3, with the NVidia GLX (version
1.0.1251-2) drivers compiled from woody.  I'm also using the ALSA
modules, version 0.5.10b-8, again, compiled from the testing sources.

The odd thing is, KDE starts up fine, but running a KDE program locks
it up hard.  This also happens when I'm running E and start kmail.  So
far, the programs that cause the crash are known to be:  NoAtun,
KMail and Konqy.  As you can imagine, testing this sort of thing is
not the funnest type of thing in the world, but if anyone has
something they want me to try, ask away.

Based on the severity of the lock-up, I'm thinking that the NVidia
drivers are causing it, because it definitely doesn't seem like
something a user-space app could do.
Another thought I had is that it could be ALSA.  ALSA refuses to save
or restore my volume settings on reboot and it seems that every second
boot requires a '/etc/init.d/alsa force-reload; alsaconf' to get them
to work at all.