Re: Brahms doesn't run -- what's /dev/sequencer?

>Has anybody managed to get Brahms to run under KDE 2.1? I managed to
>compile it cleanly but I get the following error when running it:
>
>alpha:~$ brahms
>Well - got no root rights, so the realtime clock rate is
>64 Hz now, which may sound ugly sometimes
>ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information
>ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information
>Segmentation fault

Did you get any suggestions? I was having similar problems with Ivan's old
version of Brahms but I assumed it was a combination of Brahms being compiled
for KDE1 and some simple configuration problem with my sound. I have arts
working and xmms, timidity++ and other work, though some things need to be run
through artsdsp, like mtvp, but I also have problems with kmid?i? The karioke
one, the other KDE midi player with all the advanced features works, but the
sound keep breaking up on my system, a PII350 with 256M memory.

I've been told that brahms is now in the KDE cvs, but not yet in the official
files. I would like to have Brahms, and would be willing to compile and test
this with my system, but I know very little about making sure that it goes in
the proper place for Debian or haw to make deb's. I've read a few of the mails
about this, but just wanted to get a good feel about what I need to read and
know before possibly making improper deb's. I know that Ivan had a page about
the subject, but I still can't reach the new kde.debian.net server.

The other consideration is tha I'm running Progeny, but with Ivan's more
up-to-date KDE2.1. As this is a mix of potato, testing, Ivan's potato kde
packages and some custom Progeny packages, I would need to be sure that I had
the proper versions of everything before I started compiling anything anyway.

Please be gentle, I'm not a real programmer. I just like playing with Linux and
realy, realy want brahms as rosegarden is far too limited and buggy to do
anything with at all! A good document for reading to explain the proper
locations for Debian files and tools I should have would be welcome.

Cheers,

     John Gay