starting kde2

My last update/upgrade of my potato system broke KDE2 startup, both from kdm
and from the command line.  I manually made a couple of links in
/etc/alternatives to get it working.  What I have now is

twocups:/etc/alternatives# ls -l x-*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 May 27 17:33 x-session-manager ->
/usr/bin/kde2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 May 27 17:32 x-terminal-emulator
-> /usr/bin/konsole
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 May 30 00:02 x-window-manager ->
/usr/bin/startkde

Kdm  logins work, startx works, but a lot of the fonts are large and blocky.
I'm thinking my fix isn't quite right.  How should I start kd2 the right way?

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.