Re: Problems Upgrading To Woody

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 12:43:28PM -0500, Robert Tilley wrote:
> This morning I decided to ask for help from the group.  Where are some
> instructions on safely and cleanly upgrading to Woody?  I know I can play
> around with my sources.list and apt-get but I would like to read some
> documentation that tells where to point apt-get and what procedure to follow.

It's quite easy: point apt at testing, type apt-get dist-upgrade, wait,
find all the problems that got caused, and fix them.

See? Piece of cake. :)

There are a couple of things to note: testing (woody) isn't a
stable released version of Debian. It'll have lots and lots of bugs,
installation and upgrading will be difficult, and something that works
one day mightn't work the next day. In short: it's not you; upgrading to
testing or unstable can and does require information that's not obvious
and mightn't even be readily available. If you're not pretty clued up,
and willing and able to recover from weird and confusing bugs on your own,
using anything other than stable mightn't be for you.

If you figure it is, OTOH, you should be able to get X4 and KDE working
(to some extent) without *too* much hassle. The main problems with X4
is that the packages have been reorganised and many of their names have
changed, and that the configuration file's changed. Playing around in
dselect or with apt-get to make sure you've got all the packages you need
(particularly xserver-xfree86, I'd guess), and trying various things
to make sure you end up with an X configuration file ("dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-common" might do it), should get you most of the way. Once you've
got X4 working, I think KDE should be a piece of cake.

It's not necessarily for the faint of heart though. If you want to wait
'til its fixed and clean and documented, you'll need to wait 'til woody's
released, or at least, nearly so.

Cheers,
aj