Problems Upgrading To Woody

Given that KDE is now a part of Woody and active development (or
re-development by the illustrious Mr. Moore II has ceased) I have sought to
upgrade my Potato platform to Testing.

Problem?

The first assay I did in these untested waters was to simply change all
occurrences of "stable" in my sources.list file to "testing".  This led to
multiple dependency problems when I did an apt-get upgrade.  There was too
much work to do to correct my machine, so I wiped and reloaded.

The second time I followed some advice I had received and changed "stable" to
"woody" then proceeded with an apt-get dist-upgrade.  This was better and I
actually began the process of changing to XFree86 4.0.3 (which was my main
goal, aside from KDE).  Problems arose again and given my frustration level
at this and the lateness of the hour, I wiped and reloaded Potato.

This morning I decided to ask for help from the group.  Where are some
instructions on safely and cleanly upgrading to Woody?  I know I can play
around with my sources.list and apt-get but I would like to read some
documentation that tells where to point apt-get and what procedure to follow.

Thank you for any information!

Robert "The Meticulous"
tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com