Re: Access Control behaves strange

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:08:00AM +0200, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 00:35, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > > No please don't delete it (without a good reason).  The problem can
> > > be solved in two other ways without any security loss.  a) use ssh as
> > There's an even simpler way (tho I wouldn't understand why you don't
> Security: direct root login not permited  (never tried to figure out how

Oh, that's simple. You even have a choice between two methods. :-)

Either:

	PermitRootLogin without-password

that means you will only be able to login from machines whose public-key
(in /root/.ssh/identity.pub) is in the server's /root/.ssh/authorized_keys.
NO password will be asked but you won't be able to login from other hosts
at all, as root.

That's what I use here, because it makes changing to root so simple while
OTOH denying root access from outside completely.

The other is simply defining categories in the sshd_config. You can define
that from 127.0.0.1 root access is allowed but not from 0.0.0.0 (everwhere
else).

I don't know exactly how this is done however. ;)

> to allow root login only via localhost) Minor: Overhead, response.
> Compare x app via ssh tunneling and direct :0 access.  :0 is much more
> responsive.

I think I can spare the couple CPU cycles. :-)

> > ln -fs /home/achim/.Xauthority /root/.Xauthority
> > That way root will always have the "Magic cookie" from X, when achim is
> > logged in via X.
> Because there can't be 3 /home/{achim,harald,joachim}/.Xauthority links,

/usr/local/bin/toroot:
#!/bin/bash
su - root -c "ln -fs /home/$USER/.Xauthority ~/.Xauthority; /bin/bash --login"

if you still don't want to use ssh. :-)

> sig.  But for the standard 'this is my box' case you are right.  Done on
> my Laptop.  Thanks for the tip.

no problem. ;)

--
Jens Benecke                            > "Dann nimm lieber gleich Pattex!"
                "Na, ob das was hilft - der Hersteller ist schließlich eine