Re: Making DEBs from the kdepackages

Ben Burton wrote:

> The easiest way is to sit in the directory above debian/ and type "debuild".
> When everything else is done you'll get an error regarding GnuPG signing the
> packages, but you can just ignore that.
>
> However, there are caveats.  If you're on a potato system you may run into
> problems because the stuff in debian/ may (and certainly does for koffice and
> kdesdk) rely on debhelper 3 stuff, and potato only has debhelper 2.
>
> Also, the debian packages may rely on patches to the original sources.  For
> instance, if you take a CVS snapshot of the koffice sources you need to apply
> the patches in debian/cvs.patch before building the debian packages.
>
> There may be other issues also; it depends on what packages you're trying to
> build.

OK, thanks for all of that -- since I'm running potato, it seem that it
would be more trouble than it's worth :(

> Btw, why not just download existing packages?

I like compiling stuff from source myself, although lack the disc space
to keep the compiled sources around :( So I wanted a way to be able to
uninstall the package when the next release of KDE is out.

Downloading the Debian binaries is definitely something I might do
though.

Cheers Ben,
--
Chris Howells