Re: Making DEBs from the kdepackages

> The KDE source tarballs seem to have a 'debian' directory to enable them
> to be build into a Debian package.
>
> What command do I need to issue to build the Debian package from the
> source tarball?

The easiest way is to sit in the directory above debian/ and type "debuild".
When everything else is done you'll get an error regarding GnuPG signing the
packages, but you can just ignore that.

However, there are caveats.  If you're on a potato system you may run into
problems because the stuff in debian/ may (and certainly does for koffice and
kdesdk) rely on debhelper 3 stuff, and potato only has debhelper 2.

Also, the debian packages may rely on patches to the original sources.  For
instance, if you take a CVS snapshot of the koffice sources you need to apply
the patches in debian/cvs.patch before building the debian packages.

There may be other issues also; it depends on what packages you're trying to
build.

Btw, why not just download existing packages?

Ben.

--

Ben Burton (benb@acm.org)
http://baasil.humbug.org.au/bab/

Director of Training
Australian Informatics Olympiad Committee

Paradoxically though it may seem, it is none the less true that life
imitates art far more than art imitates life.
	- Oscar Wilde