Re: Help! kdm loops

On Friday 20 April 2001 10:12, Steffen Evers wrote:
> > I copied a perfectly working potato & kde2 installation from my portable
> > to a partiotn of my desktop through NFS.
> > Now it all works but kdm (and xdm).
> > When  I start the service (./kdm start ) it propose me to enter the login
> >  & password then the screen blackens and ,here it is again, the request
> > for a login & password. In a nutshell kdm seems unable to start kde. The
> > same behavior applies to xdm.
> > I've surely messed up something. Take into account that startx makes kde
> > start regularly!
> > What sh ould I check now?
>
> I had a similar problem. Can't remember the details. The config files of
> xdm and kdm are not set correctly. Fixed it with an executeable
> ~/.xsession calling kde2.
>
> There is another problem that xdm/kdm does not process profile and
> logout files (bash and etc). Fixed it by calling it from .xsession as
> well.
>
> Seems to be a general xdm problem not kde specific.
>
> Bye, Steffen

Actually, the problem I've had with this lately, is with ssh.  That whole
compiled with different ssl thingy.  My solution has been to simply remove
ssh from the afflicted machines, as kdm trys to start ssh-agent, and as there
is no mechanism to prompt you for anything (i..e., when something screws up)
it simply dumps you back to the beginning.  This might or might not have
anything to do with your error, but it's happened to me on two different
machines.  Oh, I guess you could figure out where it's calling ssh-agent and
comment that out, but it was too much trouble for me.  I don't use ssh all
that often (bad david, no biscuit!)

HTH,

D.A.Bishop