Re: kdebase: please remove dependency on klisa

> > > In future releases it will be a suggests...tho I really hate that idea.
> > >
> > > <rant> I think it's STUPID that I have to remove a recommend when my intention
> > > is to recommend.    WTF do we have recommends for if users just want them
> > > removed all the time. </rant>
> > >
> > I would say, leave recommends as is. If a user is using dselect, either
> > they know how to resolve dependencies by hand... or they are the type
> > who just wants it to work out-of-the-box. If they are using apt from the
> > commandline, they might be prepared to deal with suggests/recommends by
> > hand.
>
> Do whatever makes the most sense with apt, since dselect is going to
> disappear at some point, right.  I think some of the problem(?) is
> because of what task-kde is; if the task was either the entire KDE
> distribution, or just the bare minimum, there would not be a problem
> because users would know what they are getting.  Since the task is
> somewhere in between those two extremes... everybody has a different
> idea of what should be included.

I don't forsee dselect going away anytime soon.  shoot I use it as my
main tool....I just haven't gotten a hang of deity or any of the other tools
out there...I know dselect...however dselect has some major issues that will
never get addressed most likely...like the Recommends issue.

The Recommends problem this person is refering to is with kdebase and not
task-kde I believe.

But beyond that I agree that everyone has different ideas on what should
be included.  My belief and what I will stick with is that all main official
KDE released apps will go into Depends except: games, toys, and a small list
of packages that either are very specific (lilo-config, kwuftpd, etc...) or
are not necessarily part of the KDE *desktop* enviromnet...which includes
kdm.  Packages like kdm end up in the Recommends as if your using task-kde
you really should also be using kdm.  Things like lilo-config, kwuftpd, and
others which are very specific end up in the Suggests along with all the
non-official KDE based apps.

all the games/toys end up in task-kdegames

all the devel apps end up in task-kdedevel

The big thing about this is that if a person spends a couple minutes (if that)
they can use task-kde* to select the pacakges they truely want.  When I setup
a new system for someone I go into dselect, select task-kde which then pulls
up the second window listing all of the depends/recommends/suggests...at
the very top of that list is task-kde...I can then remove the dependency on
it so that I can truely customize my install...then I can go through the list
and select packages that were originally suggets or remove packages that were
originally depends or recommends....this takes a very short time and also
allows me the comfort of actually knowing what I install. :)

However, this aside, the problem I beileve (as I said above) is with the
kdebase pacakge.  The sid version no longer Recommends klisa however I have
not udpated the potato packages to reflect any of the recent changes such as
the new menu tags.

Ivan
--
Ivan E. Moore II