Cannot Print or Print to File with Kword: suspect libqt error related to undefined symbol: pure virtual

I have tried over the past several weeks to get Kword to allow me to
print to printer or print to file without success, and I'm suspecting a
problem with libqt2.

The "Setup Printer" dialog box comes up, allows me to make a selection,
click okay, and the dialog box goes away as if it had printed (no error
message), but no file is created nor is anything sent to the printer.

David Faure on the Koffice list suggested something is screwed up with
Qt on my system, although I can print without any problem from all other
Koffice applications and non-KDE applications. I tried switching to CUPS
since it appears to be the direction KDE is headed, but nothing changed
(except that I've grown to like Cups).

I've tried removing/purging every trace of Qt and re-installing the
Debian packages again. The most recent Debian Qt and KDE packages are
installed on my Sid system:

libqt-dev       2.3.0-final-1
libqt2-gl       2.3.0-final-1 (Open GL Version)
libqt2.2-gl     2.3.0-final-1 (GL Version - Migration package)
libqutil1       2.3.0-final-1
libqtcups2	2.0-3
libqtcups-dev	2.0-3
kdebase         2.1.1-4
kdelibs-dev     2.1.1-4
kdelibs3        2.1.1-4
libkmid         2.1.1-4
kde-designer    2.3.0-final-1
koffice-libs    2.1-cvs20010323-1
kword           2.1-cvs20010323-1
kups		1.0-2
libcupsys2	1.1.4-3
cupsys		1.1.4-3
cupsys-client	1.1.4-3

I tried removing libqtcups2, libqtcups-dev, and kups to see if it would
make a difference, but it didn't.

Faure suggested I try going back to Kword-0.8, but I am unable to find
it as a binary. I tried compiling the Koffice source containing Kword,
but it fails ( "debian/rules build" ends with: /usr/bin/dcopidl: error
while loading shared libraries: \  /usr/lib/libqt.so.2: undefined
symbol: __pure_virtual \ make[4]: *** [KoApplicationIface.kidl] Error 1
).

I've tried opening and closing the print dialogue, tried using different
document formats, opening different types of documents, etc. No
difference. I've tried different versions of the QT packages (threaded,
embedded and GL) with no luck.

A possible related problem is that in trying to use Print Preview,
KNotify gives me an error message saying "KGhostview can only load
Postscript (ps, .eps), and Portable Document Format (.pdf) files." I can
of course live without Print Preview, but not being able to print at all
is a serious limitation for a word processor ;)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jeff Hill