Re: Great Work!

On Apr 03 2001, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:35:20PM -0300, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> > 	Using a Pentium MMX 200MHz overclocked to 250MHz with 64MB,
> > 	Konqueror (and KDE in general) is a bit slow. The problem seems to
> > 	be the memory needs of KDE, which unfortunately are quite high for
> > 	my computer. :-(
> > 	This is, BTW, the same problem with Mozilla (and StarOffice also).
>
> Just For The Record.  (tm).
>
> On my machine, a fully started KDE (which takes 30 seconds but I do it once
> a day, if at all, so I don't care) including a couple Konqueror windows
> eats just about as much memory as *TWO* Netscape windows, without all the
> fluff around them.

	How exactly do you measure the memory that some program
	requires? A you using memstat or anything else? Just using ps
	or top? These tools often show inconsistent numbers between
	each other. And I've been told that they don't show you
	precise figures in memory that is shared.

	Besides, software that is broken up in many pieces just makes
	things hard to measure its memory footprint (for instance,
	mozilla has a myriad of small programs, opens multiple copies
	of mozilla-bin etc).

	So, my question is not a provocation, but an honest question:
	how does one measure the memory requirements of software in a
	more or less reliable way (it needs not to be pretty accurate,
	but it should give a more or less consistent measure), so that
	I can figure out how much memory KDE takes? Read below for my
	motivation.

> So, yes, KDE is slow to start up, but that's because LOTS of stuff is being
> done at startup time that (sometimes) doesn't have anything to do with KDE
> itself. e.g. scanning for Netscape plugins, pre-loading X libraries, etc.
>
> Start Konqueror under another WM, e.g. icewm (it needs to start up kdeinit,
> so the first time will be slower) and notice its mem requirements then.

	I wasn't exactly refering to its startup time (I'm not
	concerned if a given software that I use takes 18 or 22
	seconds to fire up). I was refering to constant swapping while
	using it with my Pentium with 64MB of RAM. :-(

	Using my Duron with 128MB of RAM, things are much better, but
	I'd like to install KDE for friends with el-cheapo computers
	that are equipped with Celerons and with 32MB of RAM. For
	these computers (which are the majority of computers sold in
	my country, unfortunately -- perhaps some with 64MB of RAM),
	the smaller the programs are, the better.

	[]s, Roger...

  Rogerio Brito - rbrito@iname.com - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/