Frustrated with anti-aliasing

I am running debian unstable and I have an ATI Xpert98 card, which I believe is an ATI Rage128 card.

All my packages were last updated from unstable this morning. I do not have any packages from the rkrusty site.

When I turned on anti-aliasing I ended up with a grey screen and a mouse cursor. So.... I downgraded the libfreetype package with the one available in debian/testing. Is this a sufficient downgrade??? I did not see any older packages anywhere on the debian ftp site. After the libfreetype downgrade, KDE starts up VERY VERY slowly and I still end up with a grey screen and a mouse cursor. At this point I log in as root and change antialiasing to false in my kdeglobal configuration file and then everything works fine (but no antialiasing of course).

My Xftconfig file matches the one suggested by keithp.

My XFree86Config file was modified as suggested in the linuxplanet article. BTW, I tried two versions of XFree86Config, one with Load "glx"; Load "dri" and the other with these two modules commented out.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on???

Further info/questions:

1. I have lots and lots of type1 and truetype fonts, which are available to KDE (with antialiasing off). Is it possible this is slowing down KDE on startup with AA turned on? Since I have so may fonts I have not downloaded the fonts from www.xfree86.org/~keithp

2. I have xfs running (does it make a difference?).

3. Which is the right configuration for Xfree86, with or without the glx and dri modules???

4. Do I need to modify any variables in QT in order to get things working? The linuxplanet article suggests setting QT_XFT to true.
If I echo $QT_XFT I get "0".
I added set QT_XFT = true  to my /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file, but I don't know if this is the right place or even if it's necessary. Plus, it didn't help.

Well, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Mino