Re: Printers in konqueror

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 20:42, John Davidson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2001 17:51, John Davidson wrote:
> > > Somewhere along all the recent changes to kde2 I have lost the ability

> > > print from konqueror. I am using the CUPS printing system and have no
> > > difficulty printing a test page from the web admin interface, but it is
> > > impossible to print from any other application.
> >
> > Serge Robyns responded:
> > I had printing problems to when using CUPS and KDE.  KDE is looking for
>
> the
>
> > printer definition in /etc/printcap, while the default CUPS is keeping
>
> them
>
> > in /etc/printcap.cups.  A softlink helped for me ln -s /etc/printcap
> > /etc/printcap.cups
>
> That worked except that it should be
>
> ln -s /etc/printcap.cups /etc/printcap

FWIW, if someone _only_ uses a cups client on the local host (so no
printcap.cups) with the cups server running somewhere else may find
this useful:

ds10(0) ~ > cat /root/bin/cups-update-printcap
#!/bin/bash
PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
lpstat -p | grep ^printer | awk '{print $2 ":"}' | sort > /etc/printcap
ds10(0) ~ >

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com