Re: arts and railroadtycoon

> Sound doesn't work in railroad tycoon cos it reckons it can't access the
> sound card... I think its because arts sound daemon is running.
> Is there a way to stop arts nicely? What the debian policy on which sound
> server does what and how to stop/start them?

AFAIK there is no debian policy for sound currently...but shoot..I get lost
in all the policy sometimes. :)

Have you tried running railroad tycoon with artsdsp?

artsdsp rrtycoon (or whatever the binary is called)

if that runs like crap here is more info:

  What do I do if an app doesn't work with artsdsp?

   You can wait for artsd to suspend or use the artsshell suspend command
   to ask the server to suspend itself. You will only be able to suspend
   the server if no aRts applications are currently using it, and no aRts
   applications will be able to run when the server is suspended. If the
   server is busy a brutal but working way to get rid of it is

   killall artsd ; killall artswrapper

   <start app here>

   kcminit arts

   Some aRts apps might crash, though, once you kill the server.

--
Ivan E. Moore II