Re: new kde2.1 packages for potato

On my potato box I just built from CVS HEAD last night using traditional
means.  There were some near show-stopping build and install errors.

Ivan, these errors are so obvious and showstopping without the -k option on
make, that I am sure they will be solved in a hurry.  So if you pick your
moment for updating from CVS you might be able to avoid them.

But for what it is worth here are the errors I found during build and install.

BUILD:

make -k could not compile FFTScopes_impl.cpp and kjloader.cpp within
kdemultimedia because of severe syntax errors.

INSTALL:

Watch out for the "kspell" symlink error that occurs multiple times
for each module upon install (if you are using make -k install.  Otherwise
without the -k option it occurs once and stops the install.)

Here are typical error messages from kdebase make -k install.

rm -f /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/kcontrol/common
ln -s /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/common /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en /kspell/common
ln: /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/kspell/common/common: File exists

rm -f /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/kdesu/common
ln -s /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/common/usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/kspell/common
ln: /usr/local/kde2/share/doc/HTML/en/kspell/common/common: File exists

So what seems to be going on is for kcontrol and kdesu (and a whole lot of
subdirectories within kdebase and other modules) the kspell link is being
(re-)created rather than the appropriate kcontrol, kdesu, etc., link.

I must say this is the most bug-filled CVS snapshot build I have ever done.
That said, make -k pulled me through, and I am now happily using the latest
KDE (although I will avoid using kdemultimedia until my next build).

One small but splendid konqueror improvement from last week.  No more stupid
mouse clicking to get pageup and pagedown to operate correctly.  Instead, if
you have a focus follows mouse policy, pageup and pagedown work right away
without extra clicking.  (This was a wishlist item I submitted in September,
IIRC.)

One konqueror problem continues from last week; I cannot find a way to
change the colour of visited links from the default black.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics